Frank Wood is infamous!
Gareth
2004-09-16 13:33:08 UTC
Don't know whether anyone's read the piece by Mike Falconer in the lastest
Lighting & Sound America about internet-based discussion forums ..... but
there would seem to be a very thinly-veiled reference to our favourite
sandal-wearing troll in there - on the third page of the article, in the
right-hand column, just below the screenshot of the Light Network.

Who else could that possibly be referring to?!
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-09-16 14:48:27 UTC
Post by Gareth
Don't know whether anyone's read the piece by Mike Falconer in the lastest
Lighting & Sound America about internet-based discussion forums ..... but
there would seem to be a very thinly-veiled reference to our favourite
sandal-wearing troll in there - on the third page of the article, in the
right-hand column, just below the screenshot of the Light Network.
Who else could that possibly be referring to?!
Is that the September issue?

Did there happen to be an article in the technical focus section by me?
I haven't received that issue yet, and my article was supposed to run
in the September issue.

Let me know!
--
Charles R. Kaiser HOKC - Godtar - http://www.godtar.com
"There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone

Direct all incoming fire to:
44° 00' 43" N
79° 27' 06" W
Gareth
2004-09-16 16:22:30 UTC
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
Is that the September issue?
Did there happen to be an article in the technical focus section by me?
I haven't received that issue yet, and my article was supposed to run
in the September issue.
Let me know!
Sorry, Charles, I don't know - I read the Mike Falconer piece as a PDF file
which someone emailed to me, I haven't seen the magazine in its entirety.
Peter Scandrett
2004-09-16 18:38:21 UTC
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
Is that the September issue?
Did there happen to be an article in the technical focus section by me?
I haven't received that issue yet, and my article was supposed to run
in the September issue.
Let me know!
I picked up a copy at PLASA (I don't normally get it, being in the UK)
and I can't see it. Sorry.

(I might be being blind, of course, so I reserve the right to be
ridiculed...!)

HTH

Peter

<><
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-09-16 20:21:56 UTC
Post by Peter Scandrett
I picked up a copy at PLASA (I don't normally get it, being in the UK)
and I can't see it. Sorry.
Was it the September issues at PLASA? I haven't gotten it yet, and I
don't normally get an issue until about the end of the month. . .

79° 27' 06" W
Peter Scandrett
2004-09-16 20:36:02 UTC
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
Post by Peter Scandrett
I picked up a copy at PLASA (I don't normally get it, being in the UK)
and I can't see it. Sorry.
Was it the September issues at PLASA? I haven't gotten it yet, and I
don't normally get an issue until about the end of the month. . .
Yes, I have in front of me both the August and September issues of L&S
America. I deliberately got them as I normally only get L&SI.

Peter

<><
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-09-16 21:12:08 UTC
Post by Peter Scandrett
Yes, I have in front of me both the August and September issues of L&S
America. I deliberately got them as I normally only get L&SI.
Well, crap!

My article was supposed to run in the September issue. I hadn't heard
from the editor, so I guess it got cut or bumped.

It would be nice if I would get the issues in a more timely manner. I
never seem to get any of my free magazines until the end of the month.
By then any time sensitive material is too old to be of use.

79° 27' 06" W
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-09-21 02:20:59 UTC
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
My article was supposed to run in the September issue. I hadn't heard
from the editor, so I guess it got cut or bumped.
Spoke with David Barbour today, and my article has been bumped to the
November issue.

79° 27' 06" W
Adam Aglionby
2004-09-20 19:15:04 UTC
For anyone who hasn`t read it, put the PDF up, in flagrant breach of
copyright at:

http://www.freewebs.com/ratzohost/

Adam
Christopher Jahn
2004-09-20 22:50:58 UTC
Post by Adam Aglionby
For anyone who hasn`t read it, put the PDF up, in flagrant
http://www.freewebs.com/ratzohost/
THanks!
--
:-) Christopher Jahn
:-(

http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Be my brother or I'll kill you.
Rick Fears
2004-09-21 11:01:39 UTC
Post by Adam Aglionby
For anyone who hasn`t read it, put the PDF up, in flagrant breach of
http://www.freewebs.com/ratzohost/
Adam
Thanks for that - although my IE (v6 SP1, all updates up to Q867801) seems
to think that your web host will corrupt my tender sensibilities... I had
to take *.freewebs.com out of the stupid thing's restricted list :-(

Rick.
Adam Aglionby
2004-09-21 11:35:21 UTC
Post by Rick Fears
Post by Adam Aglionby
For anyone who hasn`t read it, put the PDF up, in flagrant breach of
http://www.freewebs.com/ratzohost/
Adam
Thanks for that - although my IE (v6 SP1, all updates up to Q867801) seems
to think that your web host will corrupt my tender sensibilities... I had
to take *.freewebs.com out of the stupid thing's restricted list :-(
Rick.
Used freewebs for a few things, its quick, easy for beginners and the price
is right for sure.

Moved over to Firefox browser couple of months ago, easy change, it imports
all IE settings without the security exploits:

Adam
Mike Falconer
2004-09-21 16:43:40 UTC
Hi There,
While I'm highly flattered that someone would go to all the trouble to
scan and post an article of mine online, as you point out, this is a
significant breach of both my and the magazine's copyright.

I could not tell from your post, Adam, whether you were the one
responsible. If you are I would ask you to immediately take this down
before the original publishers get involved.

It should be noted that you can subscribe to the magazine for free
here:

It should also be noted, that all of my articles can be read at my
website, in the words section, about a month after they have been
published in any of the magazines I write for. You are welcome to link
to these as long as no changes are made to the pdfs themselves.

I would direct you to an article I wrote for Lighting Dimensions a
while back that can be found here:

http://lightingdimensions.com/ar/lighting_visuals/index.htm

And while it deals with video content, the issues are the same:

"Most content houses, even the ones specializing in broadcast content,
are small, independent companies. They are trying to earn a living,
just like you. Stealing content by using footage outside the realms of
the agreement under which it was sold does no one any good,
particularly the user. Apart from opening yourself and your clients up
to potential legal action, it's just plain wrong. Widespread abuse of
content licenses will mean that content will get more expensive and
become lower in quality, if not disappear all together."

Mike Falconer
Doubleplusgood Media
Words, Images & Ideas for
entertainment lighting & beyond.

T: (+1) 626 377 8136
F: (+1) 626 795 2631
E: ***@doubleplusgoodmedia.com
W: www.doubleplusgoodmedia.com
Ynot
2004-09-21 18:37:47 UTC
Mike, hi.

I also liked the article, for much the same reasons as those others on this
group.
However, I hope you weren't TOO serious about your copyright comments?
Whilst I realise the posting could be indeed technically to be a breach, is it
really THAT serious that you decided to join the group to post about it?

I suspect that the web site version of the pdf is in fact an isolated page not
linked to anywhere else, and doesn't form part of a concerted effort to defraud,
and in fact would possibly prompt others to seek out the magazine if they'd not
read it before. You could see it as a bit of unsolicited yet free advertising
for your part of the product within the selected audience!!

Please tell me you're not too upset that it's there - after all, this was a
friendly dig at a cornerstone of this establishment.....!!! 8-)))

Ynot
https://www.ezsubscription.com/lsa/sub.htm
Mike Falconer
2004-09-21 22:53:05 UTC
Hi Ynot,

I am actually quite flattered that someone went to the trouble to do
this to be honest. However, I earn my living by writing and the nice
people at Lighting&Sound America earn their living by having people
subscribe to their magazine there-by making it an attractive
proposition to advertisers.

Something like this scan short circuits that system.

The website has been linked from two places that I have so far seen.
This forum and the Light Network. I think we would all condemn someone
who videoed a play secretly and then posted it online for the world to
download for free. There really is very little difference.

As I said before I really am quite flattered but this is just the
wrong way to do things. You can read this article in two ways for
free. You subscribe to the magazine or you can wait a month and look
at it on my website. I sure the person who did this did not mean to
defraud but it still is just the wrong thing to do.

I should also mention that I have been posting to this group since
about 1997 if not earier and I did not "join the group to post about
it." A post PLASA vacation meant that I caught this rather later than
I would have otherwise.

I'm glad you liked the article and I hope it sparks some debate about
our industry magazines.

Best regards,

Mike

Ynot
Robotboy8
2004-09-22 02:55:14 UTC
Post by Mike Falconer
I think we would all condemn someone
who videoed a play secretly and then posted it online for the world to
download for free. There really is very little difference.
In a professional venue, perhaps... coming from a highschool background, I'd be
honored that they bothered and (providing that the publisher of the script were
all right with it, though I realize this is unlikely) would encourage it. Had
I written the play, I'd be happy. Stagework is an inherently un-permanent
medium: no performance goes off quite the same. I realize the spirit you
intended this in and am not by any means trying to subvert it or deny your
point, just to point out that there are other ways of looking at it.
Simon Waldman
2004-09-22 17:30:37 UTC
Post by Mike Falconer
As I said before I really am quite flattered but this is just the
wrong way to do things. You can read this article in two ways for
free. You subscribe to the magazine
Actually, I can't, since I'm not in the US.

While I'm sure I can get by without reading it, this is potentially
somewhat unfair on Frank who has apparently been referenced and perhaps
would like to read what has been said about him.
Post by Mike Falconer
or you can wait a month and look
at it on my website.
This is good - thanks for making it available, and please let us know
when it is.
--
"Crime does not pay... as well as politics."
-- Alfred E. Newman
Frank Wood
2004-09-28 23:47:26 UTC
Post by Simon Waldman
While I'm sure I can get by without reading it, this is potentially
somewhat unfair on Frank who has apparently been referenced and perhaps
would like to read what has been said about him.
I should indeed. Post me a link to it, or some other means of access.

Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Tim Mitchell
2004-09-29 07:38:26 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
Post by Simon Waldman
While I'm sure I can get by without reading it, this is potentially
somewhat unfair on Frank who has apparently been referenced and perhaps
would like to read what has been said about him.
I should indeed. Post me a link to it, or some other means of access.
This is just what the whole argument is about. You can't read it, as
it's only available in the USA.

Perhaps Mike Falconer, the author of the piece, would be kind enough to
send you a copy.
Tim Mitchell
Torrance Bell
2004-09-29 09:47:40 UTC
Uh, so far as I have been reading, it is only available in the UK.

Torrance
Tim Mitchell
2004-09-29 10:33:01 UTC
Post by Torrance Bell
Uh, so far as I have been reading, it is only available in the UK.
No the USA, it was published in Light & Sound America
Tim Mitchell
rigger
2004-09-30 05:11:37 UTC
Post by Tim Mitchell
This is just what the whole argument is about. You can't
read it, as it's only available in the USA.
Methinks you might've missed the post that pointed out that a.) LSA has
several UK subscribers, and b.) by the time this thread winds down next
year, the article in question will be freely available on Mike
Falconer's own website.
--
rigger at TDS dot net
IATSE #274 DoD#2117 ACGwB#5 NGI#666 BMoZ#[classified]
Jeff McGhie
2004-09-30 19:16:18 UTC
Post by rigger
Post by Tim Mitchell
This is just what the whole argument is about. You can't
read it, as it's only available in the USA.
Methinks you might've missed the post that pointed out that a.) LSA has
several UK subscribers, and b.) by the time this thread winds down next
year, the article in question will be freely available on Mike
Falconer's own website.
yessss, but (a) only if you pay for it. As teh website says :-Subscriptions

Lighting&Sound America is available free to qualifying individuals in North
and South America. However, before we can add you to our free mailing list,
you must complete and return our Reader Registration form, so that we can
fulfill the requirements of our upcoming circulation audit.

If you do not qualify for our free mailing list, you can complete a paid
subscription to Lighting&Sound America.

(copyright Plasa 2004;-))

Overseas subscriptions appear to be $99 a year, not quite free is it !
Frank Wood
2004-09-30 21:39:19 UTC
Post by Tim Mitchell
This is just what the whole argument is about. You can't
read it, as it's only available in the USA.
I'm just puzzled by the title of this thread. While I know that some of you
disagree with my opinions, often vociferously, and sometimes rudely, I can't
link its content to anything I may have posted. Please enlighten me.

Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Gareth
2004-09-30 23:44:31 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
I'm just puzzled by the title of this thread. While I know that some of you
disagree with my opinions, often vociferously, and sometimes rudely, I can't
link its content to anything I may have posted. Please enlighten me.
Try Googling for the first post in this thread, it explains it all.
Basically, you would appear to be referred to, though not by name, in the
LSA article in question.
rigger
2004-10-01 03:48:07 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
I'm just puzzled by the title of this thread. While I know that some of you
disagree with my opinions, often vociferously, and sometimes rudely, I can't
link its content to anything I may have posted. Please enlighten me.
I see someone hasn't been paying attention again........
Frank Wood
2004-10-01 18:35:28 UTC
Post by rigger
I see someone hasn't been paying attention again........
Well, I've just spent a fortnight cruising round the Baltic, so I may have
missed something.

I am well known for posting divergent opinions: this I know. But, to impute
infamy to me is a bit extreme. Notorious, if you like.

Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Matt Stoody
2004-10-02 00:20:13 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
Notorious, if you like.
Scary.
Simon Waldman
2004-10-03 21:14:23 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
Well, I've just spent a fortnight cruising round the Baltic,
Oooh. On a cruise ship? Which one?

-Simon, wondering whether Frank may have been seeing some of his lighting...
--
"While you are wasting your time on your enemies
Engulfed in a fever of spite
Frank Wood
2004-10-04 18:14:48 UTC
Post by Simon Waldman
Oooh. On a cruise ship? Which one?
-Simon, wondering whether Frank may have been seeing some of his lighting...
I think not. It was a music cruise, with at least two concerts a day,
Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Simon Waldman
2004-10-04 21:18:36 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
Post by Simon Waldman
Oooh. On a cruise ship? Which one?
-Simon, wondering whether Frank may have been seeing some of his lighting...
I think not. It was a music cruise, with at least two concerts a day,
That doesn't answer my question. In fact, as the cruise line that I have
worked for does do music themed cruises in the Baltic, it probably makes
it more likely... (I haven't done one of these cruises this year, but
some of my lighting may remain)
--
"I will stand in a pleasant land, and in every face see Judas /
The burdan of love is so strange."
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-10-05 13:48:06 UTC
Post by Simon Waldman
That doesn't answer my question. In fact, as the cruise line that I have
worked for does do music themed cruises in the Baltic, it probably makes
it more likely... (I haven't done one of these cruises this year, but
some of my lighting may remain)
Simon,

Just one more example of Frank's pomposity. A "music cruise" is just SO
far above the grasp of us mere mortals on RATS.

79° 27' 06" W
charles
2004-10-05 14:35:19 UTC
Post by Simon Waldman
Post by Simon Waldman
That doesn't answer my question. In fact, as the cruise line that I have
worked for does do music themed cruises in the Baltic, it probably makes
it more likely... (I haven't done one of these cruises this year, but
some of my lighting may remain)
Simon,
Just one more example of Frank's pomposity. A "music cruise" is just SO
far above the grasp of us mere mortals on RATS.
I'm sure your local cruise companies offer them, too. Why does going on one
make Frank pompous?
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-10-06 02:26:34 UTC
Post by charles
I'm sure your local cruise companies offer them, too. Why does going on one
make Frank pompous?
Nothing at all wrong with a music cruise. I'm sure that it would be
perfectly enjoyable. I was responding to Frank's non-answer to a
perfectly valid question in his normal condescending manner.

The pomposity is inferred from his comment that seeing Simon's lighting
was not likely due to its being a "music cruise." This implied to me
that Frank felt that Simon would not likely be designing lighting for
something so highbrow.

79° 27' 06" W
charles

as one who knows both Simon & Frank, I fully understand
David Lee
2004-10-06 08:53:09 UTC
Charles R. Kaiser wrote ...
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
Post by charles
I'm sure your local cruise companies offer them, too. Why does going on one
make Frank pompous?
Nothing at all wrong with a music cruise. I'm sure that it would be
perfectly enjoyable. I was responding to Frank's non-answer to a
perfectly valid question in his normal condescending manner.
The pomposity is inferred from his comment that seeing Simon's lighting
was not likely due to its being a "music cruise." This implied to me
that Frank felt that Simon would not likely be designing lighting for
something so highbrow.
Rather a contrived interpretation! Funny, but I read it totally the other
way about: "Since it was ONLY a music cruise it's unlikely that any serious
design would have been involved so that Simon probably would't have been
responsible". Frank now seems to confirm that interpretation.

Once again you appear to be reading Frank's contributions seeking excuses to
flame him.

David
Frank Wood
2004-10-06 18:18:21 UTC
Post by Charles R. Kaiser
The pomposity is inferred from his comment that seeing Simon's lighting
was not likely due to its being a "music cruise." This implied to me
that Frank felt that Simon would not likely be designing lighting for
something so highbrow.
You may read what you like into my posts. You do, anyway. But this is arrant
rubbish.

There are just two needs for a classical concert: that the audience can see the
performers, and that they can see to read their music. I rate Simon's talents
as higher than that: even you should be capable of it.

Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Frank Wood
2004-10-05 18:52:03 UTC
Post by Simon Waldman
Post by Frank Wood
I think not. It was a music cruise, with at least two concerts a day,
That doesn't answer my question. In fact, as the cruise line that I have
worked for does do music themed cruises in the Baltic, it probably makes
it more likely... (I haven't done one of these cruises this year, but
some of my lighting may remain)
"I tell thee all, I can no more".

The area used for the main auditorium was, at best, 10' high. In normal use, it
would have been the main lounge area. It was packed with chairs for 340 guests,
including the armchairs out of the cabins.

The lighting was six fresnels, in pairs of dark pink, amber, and open white,
flat and frontal. plus the overhead house lights. It was adequate, no more.
Either of us could have done better, but I think that no time had been
programmed in for lighting rigging, And it didn't work too badly, given the
various different ensembles.

The ship was the 'Ocean Monarch', registered in Madeira. The seamen were Greek,
and the stewards a mix of Eastern European and all I can describe as dark
complexioned folk from, I would guess, from South-East Asia. Given the
Portuguese connection, Goa is a possibility.

Frank Wood
***@aol.com
Simon Waldman
2004-10-07 18:09:48 UTC
Post by Frank Wood
The area used for the main auditorium was, at best, 10' high. In normal use, it
would have been the main lounge area. It was packed with chairs for 340 guests,
including the armchairs out of the cabins.
Ah - not one of mine though :-)

The argument that it couldn't have been me because I would be wasted on
such things (I'm flattered...) is a little spurious, since if our venues
are hosting classical events then we can all find ourselves lighting
them at times. But I've tended to have bigger seagoing venues most of
the time :-)
Post by Frank Wood
The lighting was six fresnels, in pairs of dark pink, amber, and open white,
flat and frontal. plus the overhead house lights. It was adequate, no more.
Sounds familiar :-)
Although ships frequently end up very rabbit-in-the-headlights-esque,
due to a tendancy to low ceilings and, in larger cases, large moving
light rigs which encourage people to just point everything at the stage
and be done with it.
Post by Frank Wood
The ship was the 'Ocean Monarch', registered in Madeira.
Nope, definitely not one of mine then! Don't think I've ever met her either.
Post by Frank Wood
The seamen were Greek,
and the stewards a mix of Eastern European and all I can describe as dark
complexioned folk from, I would guess, from South-East Asia. Given the
Portuguese connection, Goa is a possibility.
Possibly... the telling factor for Goans is Indian accents with
Portugese names. Obviously not all Goans have Portugese names, but most
other Indians don't!
--
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that
electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged,
rigger
2004-10-01 03:46:44 UTC
Post by Jeff McGhie
Overseas subscriptions appear to be $99 a year, not quite free is it !
No, not free at all, but the point was made that it wasn't even
available in the UK, which obviously isn't true either, is it.
Adam Aglionby
2004-09-21 22:02:12 UTC
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi There,
While I'm highly flattered that someone would go to all the trouble to
scan and post an article of mine online,
Mr Falconer first let me apologise for what you obviously view as a serious
breach of your rights as the author, this was not and has never been my
intention.
I`m afraid my involvement was limited to spending 5 minutes posting the
article that I received via email as a PDF.
Post by Mike Falconer
as you point out, this is a
significant breach of both my and the magazine's copyright.
The comment was intended to be tongue in cheek.

However can understand your concern about your work and that of the
publisher being `ripped off`.

I sincerely hope that you do not construe my actions as an attempt to do any
such thing.
Post by Mike Falconer
I could not tell from your post, Adam, whether you were the one
responsible. If you are I would ask you to immediately take this down
before the original publishers get involved.
Regret that the passwords used for the free webhost are stored on another
machine, when I return to my office, will remove the apparently offending
piece.This may take up to 24 hours, if your concern is that great, suggest
contacting the hosting outfit.
Post by Mike Falconer
It should be noted that you can subscribe to the magazine for free
https://www.ezsubscription.com/lsa/sub.htm
Only within the Continental United States, a large part of the readership
here , including Mr Wood who is referred to in the R.A.T.S. thread title
and your article, do not reside within the circulation area where Light and
Sound America is available.

A reader of the www.blue-room.org.uk which is mentioned in the article , was
kind enough to email me the article in PDF form.

As news:rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft, www.lightnetwork.com and
www.blue-room.org.uk are all mentioned in the article and the thread started
here about our own, RATS, Mr Frank Wood , felt that it would be fair to Mr
Wood and the other inhabitants to at least know what was being said.

Have also copied this reply to your comment in the Lightnetwork.
Post by Mike Falconer
It should also be noted, that all of my articles can be read at my
website, in the words section, about a month after they have been
published in any of the magazines I write for. You are welcome to link
to these as long as no changes are made to the pdfs themselves.
Thankyou, I hope you will return and post a link when the article becomes
available,` legtimately `, online.
Post by Mike Falconer
I would direct you to an article I wrote for Lighting Dimensions a
http://lightingdimensions.com/ar/lighting_visuals/index.htm
"Most content houses, even the ones specializing in broadcast content,
are small, independent companies. They are trying to earn a living,
just like you. Stealing content by using footage outside the realms of
the agreement under which it was sold does no one any good,
particularly the user. Apart from opening yourself and your clients up
to potential legal action, it's just plain wrong. Widespread abuse of
content licenses will mean that content will get more expensive and
become lower in quality, if not disappear all together."
Mr Falconer, I appreciate that the Light and Sound stable of publications
needs well written and informed articles, like yours, to involve their
readership and avoid becoming another trade `comic` full of `advertorial.`

In this instance though, you chose to write about internet forums and
mention, identifiably, posters in these forums.When this was mentioned in
these forums, there seemed no clear way that the person identified would
have access to what was being said.

My sole intention was that those talked about could at least hear from the
horses mouth what was being said.
The page is/was a single page with a single link to the un-edited PDF scan
of your article.

Can understand that the line between fair use and plagiarism is very fine
and that vigilence to protect your intellectual property is always required,
can only hope that in this instance you don`t feel that I have crossed the
line into "Stealing content"
Post by Mike Falconer
" I, for one, would like to work in an industry in which
products,companies business tactics, designs(because there are some god
awful designs out there,guys) and even writers were all available for
criticiscm. at the moment , because of the size and coziness of our cottage
industry, we are all too afraid of offending anyone, we are getting the
press we deserve , and if we want good honest discussions about our industry
, its problems and the challenges ahead, it is up to us to make our voices
heard"<<<

Hope that as you have now found your voice at
news:rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft that you will feel free to post as well as
lurk.

Adam

if anyone requires to email me, nastygrams from legal firms excepted, try
my name at capersville co uk
Andy
2004-09-23 13:14:34 UTC
Post by Adam Aglionby
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi There,
While I'm highly flattered that someone would go to all the trouble to
scan and post an article of mine online,
Mr Falconer first let me apologise for what you obviously view as a serious
breach of your rights as the author, this was not and has never been my
intention.
I`m afraid my involvement was limited to spending 5 minutes posting the
article that I received via email as a PDF.
I may be wrong as far as the US goes, but in the UK something that has
been distributed free is in the public domain and there is no breach
of copyright.
Post by Adam Aglionby
Post by Mike Falconer
as you point out, this is a
significant breach of both my and the magazine's copyright.
The comment was intended to be tongue in cheek.
However can understand your concern about your work and that of the
publisher being `ripped off`.
I sincerely hope that you do not construe my actions as an attempt to do any
such thing.
Hardly ripping someone off if it's vailable for free!!!!!
Post by Adam Aglionby
Only within the Continental United States, a large part of the readership
here , including Mr Wood who is referred to in the R.A.T.S. thread title
and your article, do not reside within the circulation area where Light and
Sound America is available.
What Mr. Falcolner (whoever he may be) and the magazine don't seem to
have taken into account in their rush to object to you freely
distributing something something they have already -er- freely
distributed is that mentioning Frank Wood in a bad light (however
thinly disguised) could well amount to a libel against him.

Whatever anyone may or may not think of Frank Wood, he has his rights
just as much as anyone else.

So if I were Mr Falcolner, I'd stop demanding non existant rights
before someone starts lawsuits to protect actual rights!!!!
Post by Adam Aglionby
Post by Mike Falconer
It should also be noted, that all of my articles can be read at my
website, in the words section, about a month after they have been
published in any of the magazines I write for. You are welcome to link
to these as long as no changes are made to the pdfs themselves.
Especially as this statement really does blow any claim to any rights
he may have to stop others distributing this article.
Post by Adam Aglionby
Post by Mike Falconer
"Most content houses, even the ones specializing in broadcast content,
are small, independent companies. They are trying to earn a living,
just like you. Stealing content by using footage outside the realms of
the agreement under which it was sold does no one any good,
particularly the user. Apart from opening yourself and your clients up
to potential legal action, it's just plain wrong. Widespread abuse of
content licenses will mean that content will get more expensive and
become lower in quality, if not disappear all together."
Not the same thing at all. By selling the content the "content house"
to use your term has a contract with the purchasor and (depending on
the terms of the contract) can use copyright law to prevent the
purchasor using the content beyond what was permitted in the contract.

The content house may well wish and be able to sell the same content
many times to different users (or even to the same user for multiple
uses). Pirating it prevents them from doing so and occasions them real
financial loss.

No one is going to pay Mr Falcolner again for his article - it's
already available free.
Post by Adam Aglionby
Mr Falconer, I appreciate that the Light and Sound stable of publications
needs well written and informed articles, like yours, to involve their
readership and avoid becoming another trade `comic` full of `advertorial.`
In this instance though, you chose to write about internet forums and
mention, identifiably, posters in these forums.When this was mentioned in
these forums, there seemed no clear way that the person identified would
have access to what was being said.
And possibly libelled.

Andy
Tim Mitchell
2004-09-23 15:59:51 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Adam Aglionby
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi There,
While I'm highly flattered that someone would go to all the trouble to
scan and post an article of mine online,
Mr Falconer first let me apologise for what you obviously view as a serious
breach of your rights as the author, this was not and has never been my
intention.
I`m afraid my involvement was limited to spending 5 minutes posting the
article that I received via email as a PDF.
I may be wrong as far as the US goes, but in the UK something that has
been distributed free is in the public domain and there is no breach
of copyright.
I don't think that is true in the UK either. I have a DVD which was
given away free with a magazine but the material on it is still subject
to the normal copyright restrictions.

However, I think Mike Falconer's reaction is a bit OTT for an article in
a freebie trade mag only available in the USA. Putting up a scan of the
article for us second class citizens who don't live in the USA and will
never see the article in question is a bit like photocopying an
out-of-print book - it's the only way you'll get to read it, and nobody
is losing out.
Tim Mitchell
DuncanWood
& that would mean ITV had no copyrights at all.
Mike Falconer
2004-09-25 01:02:42 UTC
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Mitchell
However, I think Mike Falconer's reaction is a bit OTT for an article in
a freebie trade mag only available in the USA. Putting up a scan of the
article for us second class citizens who don't live in the USA and will
never see the article in question is a bit like photocopying an
out-of-print book - it's the only way you'll get to read it, and nobody
is losing out.
It does pain me that people think this is an over the top reaction, it
is after all how I earn my living, help support my wife, and pay for
dog food (for my dog).

Lighting and Sound America is sent to qualified subscribers in the UK,
I would imagine that you would certainly qualify, you could pick up a
copy at PLASA and, shock horror, you could even pay for it and have it
sent to you.

As I have said a number of times before, once the magazine is no
longer current the article will be available for free from my website
- just like all the other articles I have written.

The problem that I had with this scan was that nobody asked and it was
from the current issue of the magazine.

Best Regards,

Ynot
2004-09-25 10:37:49 UTC
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Mitchell
[...]
And, Mike, I think the counter point is that sight of your article may possibly
encourage others to actually do just that and go out to get a copy of the actual
mag!

Ynot
Tim Mitchell
2004-09-27 08:08:36 UTC
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Mitchell
However, I think Mike Falconer's reaction is a bit OTT for an article in
a freebie trade mag only available in the USA. Putting up a scan of the
article for us second class citizens who don't live in the USA and will
never see the article in question is a bit like photocopying an
out-of-print book - it's the only way you'll get to read it, and nobody
is losing out.
It does pain me that people think this is an over the top reaction, it
is after all how I earn my living, help support my wife, and pay for
dog food (for my dog).
I understand that, but I don't see how someone posting a PDF of that
article for a couple of days for us to read is going to affect your
income as a writer.

We were only interested because we (as a newsgroup) were being discussed
in print but were unable to read what was being said.
Tim Mitchell
Ynot
2004-09-27 10:48:52 UTC
Post by Tim Mitchell
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Mitchell
[...]
And another thought occurs.....
Say I was reading a book, and felt that I'd like to share a passage with my
colleagues. I scanned and published, maybe on a literary NG, a section of that
book, saying - "Hey - this is good - just read this bit, and see how good it is"
and then I attributed the clipping with the author and maybe even the
publisher's details.....
Can you really see an author/publisher railing over what is essentially a bit of
free advertising?

The pdf of your article as published was attributed to you, and the source of
that article detailed. I have a nagging thought that says that as long as you
correctly attribute something if you use it outside of it's core medium, that
can actually get by the copyright rules. After all, copyright is there to
protect the owner against plagiarism, surely.....

Ynot
Peter Herman
2004-09-27 16:32:03 UTC
Post by Ynot
Post by Tim Mitchell
Post by Mike Falconer
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Mitchell
[...]
Whether Mike F overreacted or not is an issue we can legitimately debate
here but whether or not he had the RIGHT react to under copyright law to
is not. Actually, copyright is to protect the owner against any use
the owner feels he or she needs protecting against, only one of which is
plagerism. There are "fair use" exceptions which make the protection
not absolute but these are restricted. Your example of a BRIEF
quotation with the "hey - this is good.." would fall into the fair use
exception which allows brief quotation for purposes of review.

Attribution does not exempt the user from copyright restrictions beyond
the fair use exemptions. That is why when you see an article reprinted
somewhere it generally says "reprinted with permission from ..." rather
than just "reprinted from...". If attribution alone without permission
were all that was required then there would nothing to stop anyone from
duplicating and distributing anything that appeared in print. The fact
that in this case the article was duplicated in its entirety and
distributed falls outside of the fair use exemption.

In my former life as a microbiology professor we dealt with these issues
all the time. In general, you could copy a journal article from the
university library's subscription copy for your personal use. On the
other hand, If you wanted to make 25 copies to pass out to a class (even
for free), you had to obtain permission from the journal, and perhaps
pay a royalty.

We see the same thing in script royalties. Even if the performance is
not charging admission, a copyrighted script still requires a
performance license and the payment of royalties, unless the rights
holder chooses to waive them. For example, Eve Ensler will grant
royalty-free performance rights to "The Vagina Monologues" to some types
of student groups for a limited number of performances to benefit
certain types of women's groups during a window in February. This
generosity on her part in no way limits her rights in the piece.

Peter
Mike Falconer
2004-09-27 17:04:59 UTC
Post by Ynot
[...]

From the first book picked at random off one of my shelves:

"No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner
whatsoever without written permission except in the case of the brief
quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews."

All that had to happen was for someone to ask.

rigger
2004-09-28 03:17:15 UTC
Post by Tim Mitchell
I understand that, but I don't see how someone posting a PDF of that
article for a couple of days for us to read is going to affect your
income as a writer.
We were only interested because we (as a newsgroup) were being discussed
in print but were unable to read what was being said.
Hey folks,

Would it really have been so bloody difficult for whomever originally
posted the PDF copy of Mike's article to have just asked Mike's
permission first? I have a sneaking hunch that if that had taken place,
with the explanation *in advance* that I've read here so frequently
after-the-fact, Mike more than likely would have allowed the article to
have been reposted with his blessing.

But that wouldn't have been as much fun as whinging about his copyrights
and the violation of same, would it?

Talk about over-the-top reactions... Y'all might want to take a good
long look in a mirror sometime.
Charles R. Kaiser
2004-09-23 22:17:39 UTC
Post by Andy
I may be wrong as far as the US goes, but in the UK something that has
been distributed free is in the public domain and there is no breach
of copyright.
Just because a magazine or something else is free does not mean that its
contents are not protected by copyright! That would mean that every
free access website in the world was public domain! This is most
certainly not the case.

Unless there is a specific notice to the contrary, it is assumed that a
publisher or creator has reserved all rights to a publication or other
work. There does not need to be a notice of copyright, but it is often
helpful to have one.

What a expressed copyright protects is determined by the owner of the
material. Just because it may be contained in a publication that is
distributed for free does not change the rights of the copyright holder
if they have reserved them. The same holds true for any published work.
If I write a book, publish it, and then hand it out for free, I still
hold copyright on that book. You cannot copy the book and then publish
your own edition of it. Not even in the UK.

If you were to look at my website (http://www.godtar.com) you would see
a copyright notice on every page. That notice states "All Rights
Reserved." That means that I reserve all the rights to copy,
distribute, or otherwise use any of content on that site. That
copyright notice *legally* prevents you from using my site's content
without my permission. It does not *actually* prevent you from using
it, but if you did, you would be in violation of the law and I could use
the courts to seek redress from you. Even without the notice I could
still seek redress under an assumed reservation of my rights to the
material.

For another version of a copyright notice, you can look at another site
of mine (http://www.clanmacneil.ca). This site is copyrighted under
what is called a "Creative Commons Licence"
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/). This licence allows
you to use the content on my site to copy, distribute, display, and make
derivative works under the following conditions:

Attribution: You must give the original author credit.
Non-commercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may
distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this
one. There is a bit more information on fair used of this site's
material at http://www.clanmacneil.ca/copyright.htm.

79° 27' 06" W
Mike Falconer
2004-09-24 00:00:24 UTC
*sighs*

Dear Andy (Whoever you may be),
Post by Andy
I may be wrong as far as the US goes, but in the UK something that has
been distributed free is in the public domain and there is no breach
of copyright.
L&SA has a cover price, as do almost all magazines, that due to the
publishers considering you a qualified subscriber, you do not have to
pay. I sell my work to L&SA for it to appear in certain issue of the
magazine. What I choose to do with it then, such as publish it online
or sell it in a book for example is my business.
Post by Andy
Hardly ripping someone off if it's vailable for free!!!!!
Just because you have not paid for something does not mean it doesn't
have a cost. The magazine which charges for advertising in the
magazine would disagree with you I feel, as would the advertisers
themselves.
Post by Andy
What Mr. Falcolner (whoever he may be) and the magazine don't seem to
have taken into account in their rush to object to you freely
distributing something something they have already -er- freely
distributed is that mentioning Frank Wood in a bad light (however
thinly disguised) could well amount to a libel against him.
Whatever anyone may or may not think of Frank Wood, he has his rights
just as much as anyone else.
I most certainly did not libel Mr. Wood or anyone else for that
matter. Mr. Wood is welcome, as is anyone else, to contact me if they
have a question about anything I have written both for UK and US
magazines. L&SA is also sent to a number of people in the UK.
Post by Andy
So if I were Mr Falcolner, I'd stop demanding non existant rights
before someone starts lawsuits to protect actual rights!!!!
It's Falconer.
Post by Andy
Especially as this statement really does blow any claim to any rights
he may have to stop others distributing this article.
What I choose to do with my articles is my business. I choose to
provide an online archive of things I have written because many of the
magazines do not.
Post by Andy
Not the same thing at all. By selling the content the "content house"
to use your term has a contract with the purchasor and (depending on
the terms of the contract) can use copyright law to prevent the
purchasor using the content beyond what was permitted in the contract.
The content house may well wish and be able to sell the same content
many times to different users (or even to the same user for multiple
uses). Pirating it prevents them from doing so and occasions them real
financial loss.
I'm sure the L&SA would consider someone downloading a scanned article
instead of signing up for a subscription a loss, as the number of
readers are what advertisers pay for. Unfortunately that is the way
things work.
Post by Andy
No one is going to pay Mr Falcolner again for his article - it's
already available free.
How do you know? I can hope!

As I have said all along I was very flattered that someone did this,
the problem was with how it was done. If someone had dropped myself
(Google finds me) or the editor at L&SA an email, or even asked either
of us at PLASA, I'm sure something could have been worked out.

I have made my peace with Adam and he has raised some interesting
issues with regards to the main subject matter of the article on the
Light Network which are worth checking out.

Simon Waldman
2004-09-23 19:54:52 UTC
Post by Andy
I may be wrong as far as the US goes, but in the UK something that has
been distributed free is in the public domain and there is no breach
of copyright.
Wrong, at least in the UK.

Free != PD.
--
"While nobody was looking, I grew up. But you never did, 'cos you
never had to." - 'Blood Brothers', Willy Russell
E. Lee Dickinson
WAY too specific to be referring to anyone else. I love it. :)
Mike Falconer
2004-09-21 16:46:04 UTC
Post by E. Lee Dickinson
WAY too specific to be referring to anyone else. I love it. :)
Glad you liked the article.

Rick Fears
2004-09-21 11:31:49 UTC
Post by Gareth
Don't know whether anyone's read the piece by Mike Falconer in the
lastest Lighting & Sound America about internet-based discussion
forums ..... but there would seem to be a very thinly-veiled reference
to our favourite sandal-wearing troll in there - on the third page of
the article, in the right-hand column, just below the screenshot of
the Light Network.
Who else could that possibly be referring to?!
Nope, can't be Frank, no mention of C**** B***...

Rick